Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday Night Exploration

As well as being the senior pastor of New Hope I am also the pastor for young adults. On the second Friday of January I hosted a group of young adults (10 of them) at my house for a light supper and a time of questions, sharing, and biblical exploration. We met at 7 p.m. and discussed non- stop until 9:30 p.m. The issues at this session centered around salvation, its assurance, and how it relates to last day events.
This is a regular feature on the second Friday of each month. The purpose is to give young adults opportunity to ask any questions they like about the Bible, life, culture, Adventism, and so on.
Our next time together is Friday, February 9 at 7:00 p.m. I will be out of town but Pastor Kumar has agreed to host the discussion at my house: 1717 Priscilla Dr., Silver Spring, MD 20904. Phyllis will again host a light supper.
If there are subjects you want to talk about it would be helpful to let me know in advance so I can do some advance study. You can list the subjects here as part of this blog or just email me at jdavidnewman@gmail.com.
Come and try this out for yourself

4 comments:

Akhenaton said...

As a Youth Leader at my old church, I remember surveying the teenagers and young adults and found that the matters that were most dear to them were that of faith, sex, relationships, drugs, smoking, the MTV Culture, and anything else that is relevant. I think that's a great start. Oh! Talking about relevance, a great 'breaker icer' could be a SuperBowl Party hosted by New Hope. It can be a great bridge for the community and can help foster deeper relationships with the pastors/leaders and the future of New Hope (i.e. new members and 'youngsters'). It's probably too late for that though...maybe next year?

JDavidNewman said...

The idea of a super bowl party is a great idea. At my previous church our youth pastor set this up and rented a wide screen tv for our fellowship hall and we had about thirty people attend. We will see for next year. By that time we should have the second floor renovation completed.

Jared said...

I'm curious about these topics:
*Last Generation Theology
*Human nature of Christ
*Modernism vs Postmodernism

a allan martin said...

I would love to know what you discover in your Friday night chats.